March is Colorectal (Colon) Cancer Awareness Month: Important Questions to ask your Doctor.
The older you get, it is always a good idea to be proactive when it comes to your health. The more you know and educate yourself on, the better. March is Colorectal (Colon) Cancer Awareness Month and it is essential to know not only what preventative measures you can take to detect and prevent this disease but what questions to ask your doctor before you have any procedures or screenings done. Some key questions you want to ask your doctor are listed below:
- What screening test(s) do you recommend for me?
- How do I prepare? Do I need to change my diet or my usual medication schedule?
- What’s involved in the test? Will it be uncomfortable or painful?
- Is there any risk involved?
- When and from whom will I get results?
In our previous Wellness Wednesday post, we listed all the different Colorectal Cancer screenings and tests that Medicare covers. Preparing yourself for these tests will help alleviate any of your concerns you might have beforehand. There are many different resources you can utilize to educate yourself further on these processes. Please check out the CDC website listed for more information on Colorectal Cancer: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/questions.htm