Medicare Telehealth in 2020
In March 2020, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) allowed Telehealth’s expanded use from your home. This change enables seniors to communicate with doctors without having to travel to a healthcare facility. Furthermore, it has led to a significant increase in Telehealth visits.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
During the 2020 COVID-19 crisis, Telehealth has become an essential component of healthcare. By communicating remotely with doctors from home, seniors limit their risk of Coronavirus infection. Moreover, Telehealth reduces healthcare providers’ exposure to ill persons and the spread of COVID-19 to other patients. In other words, Telehealth services help minimize the transmission risk of Coronavirus.
Medicare Part B covers Telehealth
Medicare Part B covers Telehealth medical services for doctor visits, counseling, and mental health. For example, you can get Diabetes Self Management Training (DSMT) services from a Registered Dietitian through Telehealth. Furthermore, you can receive Telehealth psychotherapy sessions to treat depression and anxiety.
Medicare Part B covers 80% of outpatient Telehealth services, so you pay the remaining 20% and the Part B deductible. You can upgrade your health coverage to 100% coverage with a Medigap plan. Call 1-855-368-4717 to speak with a licensed agent at Senior Healthcare Direct. We can review your Medicare options and help you choose a plan that’s right for you.
Mental Telehealth Increases in 2020
Telehealth for mental health conditions has increased from 2019 to 2020. FairHealth.org reports the percent of mental Telehealth claims in May 2020 increased by 1.2%. Then in the next three months, mental Telehealth grew as follows:
- June claims up 9.51%
- July claims up 8.36%
- August claim up 13.86%
Internet and Home broadband among Seniors
According to Pewresearch.org, 82% of seniors age 65 – 69 say they go online. Furthermore, 66% of seniors the same age have home broadband. However, the older the senior, the less they use the Internet and broadband.
Seniors between the ages of 65 and 74 are more likely to use the Internet and have broadband services at home. Thus, these seniors are likely to have the technology needed for at-home Medicare Telehealth in 2020.
Broadband Internet Survey
Answer the question and submit survey for results.