Medigap Monday: Does Medicare Supplement Plan G cover hospital bills?

The Medicare Supplement Plan G covers your Medicare Part A hospital bills, including the deductible and services not once, but every time you are hospitalized. Generally, Medicare pays 80 percent and Plan G pays the remaining 20 percent. Consequently, you pay no hospital costs.

Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers hospital services, including semi-private rooms, meals, general nursing, drugs as part of your inpatient treatment, and other hospital services and supplies. Part A covers care you get in the following facilities:

  • Acute care hospitals
  • Critical access hospitals
  • Inpatient rehabilitation facilities
  • Long-term care hospitals

If you do not have a Medigap Plan, you pay Original Medicare costs. Otherwise, you pay a Medicare Advantage plan.

Original Medicare Costs in 2021

  • $1,484 deductible for each 60-day hospital benefit period.
  • $0 coinsurance for days 1–60
  • $371 coinsurance for days 61–90
  • $742 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” for days 91+
  • Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs

YM08242102

Last Updated on August 24, 2021 by Brian Kondas