What is Medicare Plan G?

Medicare Plan G is a Medicare Supplement Plan that gives you the greatest value. It provides you the same full coverage benefits of Medicare Plan F with a lower monthly premium. When you get an affordable Plan G versus Plan F, you can save $500 to $900 per year in premiums. 

The only difference in coverage between Plan F and G is that Plan G requires you to pay Medicare Part B annual deductible. In 2021, Part B deductible is only $203. In other words, after you spend $203, you can save $300 to $700 in annual premiums. Learn more about Medicare Part B premiums in 2021.

Medicare Supplement Plan G

Medigap Plan G is the same as Medicare Supplement Plan G. Medigap is another name for Medicare Supplement. What a Medigap plan does is supplement your Original Medicare benefits. In particular, Medigap Plan G covers all your Medicare coverage gaps except the Part B deductible.

What does Plan G Cover?

Medigap Plan G, like all Medigap Plans, must follow federal and state laws designed to protect the policyholder. Therefore, the essential benefits of Medigap Plan G must be the same no matter where Plan G is purchased. In other words, Medigap Plan G coverage benefits will be the same no matter which carrier you choose. 

As shown in the Medigap Plan G Benefits chart, your supplement benefits include the following:

Medicare Supplement Plan G benefits chart

Medicare Part A: Inpatient Hospital Coverage and Cost

Plan G covers inpatient hospital care, skilled nursing facility, hospice care, and home health care. Before you receive any Medicare Part A benefits, you or a Medigap Plan must pay the 2021 Part A deductible of $1484. Medigap Plan G pays your $1484 Part A deductible every 60-day benefit period. Furthermore, it also covers the following:

  • After the first 20 days of skilled nursing, Plan G pays $185.50 coinsurance in 2021 up to 100 days. That’s a $14,840 benefit!
  • Between 61 days and 90 days in a Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH), Plan G pays $371 coinsurance each day in 2021. That’s an $11,130 benefit!
  • Plan G pays for the first 3 pints of blood when the hospital buys you blood.
Medicare Part A semi-private hospital room
Medicare covers a semi-private hospital room.

Medicare Part B: Outpatient Medical Coverage and Cost

Plan G covers Medicare Part B outpatient medical services at any hospital or medical facility for less than 24 hours. Furthermore, Plan G covers outpatient preventive services, such as diabetes self-management training. Moreover, Plan G covers the following:

  • When you have moderate or severe COPD, Plan G pays your 20% coinsurance that you would otherwise have to pay. 
  • After you pay the $203 Part B deductible in 2021, Plan G pays 20% coinsurance cost for an annual glaucoma test.
  • If you have a diabetic condition, Plan G pays 20% coinsurance costs for therapeutic shoes and inserts.
Diabetic Foot Care - doctor exams the foot of senior man
Medicare Plan G pays for diabetic foot care

Is Medicare Plan G better than Plan F?

Medicare Plan G is a better value and costs you less per year than Plan F. Because you pay significantly less on monthly premiums, you can save hundreds per year. In other words, your total out-of-pocket costs with Plan G is less than Plan F.

With Medicare Plan G, you pay an annual $203 Part B deductible. You may spend $500 less in monthly premiums per year. As a result, you could save a difference of $300. If you would pay $200 to save $300, then Plan G is the right plan for you.

Linda, in the photo, saved $300 a year by switching to Medicare Plan G.

Linda saved $300 per year by switching to Medicare Plan G.

Linda’s Story

Linda was admitted to a hospital as an inpatient for 36 days. On day one, Linda paid her $203 Part B deductible. Then she started receiving skilled nursing care. Linda received a semi-private room, meals, and skilled nursing to treat, manage, and observe her condition.

Medicare Plan G paid Part A deductible of $1484 and the first 20 days. Moreover, Plan G covered days 21 to 36 at $185.50 coinsurance per day for a 16-day benefit of $2,968. Linda’s saved a total out-of-pocket benefit of $4,452.

After her doctor discharged her from the hospital, she required outpatient physical therapy. Linda’s physical therapist decided not to accept the Medicare-approved amount for her physical therapy. Therefore, the physical therapist charged Linda 15% more than Medicare’s approved amount. Fortunately, Linda had Medicare Plan G, which covered this Part B Excess amount.

Linda Physical Therapy in Hospital
Linda’s physical therapy session in hospital

Medicare Plan G Case Study: A Great Value

George has diabetes, and Medicare Supplement Plan G. He visits his primary doctor once a year and his endocrinologist several times a year to renew his prescriptions. In January 2021, he goes to his first doctor visit for the year. 

The specialist bills Medicare, which pays 80% share of the bill except for the $203 outpatient deductible, which George pays. Then his Medicare Supplement Plan G pays the remaining 20%. Medicare covers diabetic supplies such as his lancets, test strips, and a new glucose meter at no charge to him. Medicare and his supplement work together to pay 100% of these costs.

For the rest of the year, George will owe absolutely nothing out of pocket for Medicare Part A and B services. George keeps more money in his pockets with Medicare Plan G. His only copays will be for medications under his separate Part D prescription drug plan.

With Plan G coverage, George does not have to worry about any doctor copays. He will not pay for ambulance transportation, lab-work or imaging. If George has surgery, Medicare will cover 80% and his Plan G will cover the other 20%. 

Senior Man Portrait smiling

Plan G is a great value for George. Depending on your needs, Plan G might be right for you, as well. To help you decide which supplement plan is best for you, review the Medigap Benefits Chart for a side-by-side comparison of all Medigap Plans.

Why Medicare Plan G is Better Than Plan F

First, Plan G has lower monthly premiums than Plan F. Second, over the years, Medigap Plan G premium rates have increased less than Plan F. Thus, lower premiums year after year make Plan G a better value than Plan F.

In the MedicareBob video, Robert Bache correctly predicted over the last 5 to 6 years that Plan G would have a better value than Plan F. MedicareBob continues to recommend Plan G as a better value than Plan F for the next 5 to 6 years. Watch the video to learn why Medicare Plan G has a better value than Plan F or read more about Plan G vs Plan F.

In recent years, Medicare Plan G has sometimes increased as little as 3% with some carriers, considerably less than the rate increases from year to year on Plan F.

If you have Original Medicare, discover when you can enroll in a Medigap Plan. Furthermore, if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, find out when you can switch to a supplement plan.

Senior Healthcare Direct

Find out if Medicare Plan G is right for you. Call Senior Healthcare Direct at 1-855-368-4717 to speak with a licensed agent. We have access to top A+ rated Medicare insurance companies. We can check Plan G rates with over 30 carriers so that you can get the lowest price on Medicare Plan G in your area. Furthermore, when you enroll with us, it costs you nothing, and you will have access to our friendly Customer Support Team. Then whenever you have questions or problems, you can get answers and solutions.

You might want to consider purchasing Medicare Plan G. You will pay a $203 Part B deductible once in the 2021 calendar year. However, the annual savings in premiums can offset that cost, so you can save hundreds per year! Get your Free Quote

Medicare Part B Premium 2021 - happy senior couple

Frequently Asked Questions about Medicare Plan G

What is Plan G deductible in 2021?

$203 is the annual Part B deductible in 2021 which you pay for your Plan G deductible.

What does Medicare Plan G pay for?

Plan G pays for your hospital deductible and after you pay the $203 deductible in 2021 it pays for your medical outpatient medical coverage for stays at any hospital or medical facility for less than 24 hours. In addition, Plan G pays for all your copays and coinsurance under Medicare.

Does Medicare Plan G cover dental?

No, neither Medicare nor Medigap plans cover dental care.

Does Plan G cover prescription drugs?

Plan G covers the coinsurance for any Part B prescription drugs. These medications are typically limited to people with specific medical conditions. Plan G covers chemotherapy drugs, anti-nausea medications, immunosuppressive medications, and drugs for end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Plan G does not cover outpatient retail prescriptions. In this case, you will need a Part D drug plan.

Is Medicare Plan G better than Plan F?

Yes, Plan G is a better value than Plan F. You pay $203 Part B annual deductible in 2021 and get the monthly benefit of paying a much lower Plan G premium vs Plan F. Since you can save several hundred dollars in premiums on Plan G it is a better value than Plan F.