Medicare Costs 2020 Hospital

What Medicare Part A covers

What Medicare Part A covers

Medicare Part A is hospital insurance for Medicare beneficiaries. Part A covers inpatient hospital care that includes skilled nursing facilities and long-term care hospitals. Discover when inpatient hospital care is covered by Part A.

To find out everything that Part A covers, visit Medicare.gov. Furthermore, Medicare.gov gives you two ways to find out whether Medicare covers what you need. You will also discover the three main factors on which Medicare coverage is based.

What Medicare Part A does not cover

Part A does not cover all hospital bills. Part A only covers 80% of your hospital bills. To get coverage on the other 20%, you need to purchase a Medicare Supplement Plan. In 2020, there are ten Medigap Plans: A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N. However, people newly eligible for Medicare in 2020 can not buy plans C or F. If your 65th birthday was on or after January 1, 2020, you are only eligible to buy plans A, B, D, G, K, L, M, and N. You can compare Medigap benefits for all ten plans and find out which plan has the coverage you need.

Moreover, the 80% that Medicare does cover is limited to the first 60 days of inpatient hospital care. If you are a hospital impatient of longer than 2 months, Medicare Part A coverage will expire. To extend hospital insurance coverage for up to an additional 365 days, you will need to purchase a Medigap Plan.

Part A Hospital Costs After 60 Days

What does Medicare Part A cover?

According to Medicare.gov, you pay $352 coinsurance per day between 61 and 90 days of inpatient hospital care with Medicare Part A. However, any Medigap Plan will cover this coinsurance cost. Beyond 90 days you pay $704 coinsurance for each lifetime reserve day. Finally, beyond a lifetime reserve of 60 days, you pay all costs.

Part A does not cover outpatient hospital service and prescription drugs. You can learn more about the 4 Parts of Medicare.