FAQ Friday: Dental, Vision and Hearing Plans
It is a well-known fact that it is almost impossible to find a decent dental, vision or hearing (DVH) plan after the age of 65 and it is imperative to have this type of coverage, especially after the age of 65. These are some statistics from the National Institute of Dental Research Joint Dental Report 2009 and EyeCareAmerica.org. Just to give you an idea of how badly people need DVH coverage:
- 92% of adults 20 to 64 have had dental problems in their permanent teeth.
- 26% of adults 20 to 64 have untreated decay.
- Only 57% of the total population have dental coverage.
- “Lack of insurance” is the most commonly cited reason for not visiting the dentist.
- 62% of adult population in the United States uses prescriptive eyewear, only 48% have a vision exam every year or less.
- The number of visually impaired people likely will double by 2030 according to VisionWatch.
- 1 out of 4 children have vision problems.
- Men are more likely than women to report having hearing loss.
- Among adults aged 70 or older with hearing loss who could benefit from hearing aids, fewer than one in three (30%) has ever used them. Even fewer adults aged 20 to 69 (approximately 16%) who could benefit from wearing hearing aids have ever used them.
DVH coverage is important because it can prevent unforeseen situations that are painful, inconvenient and expensive. It’s imperative to protect yourself! Medicare does not cover these services, however with this coverage in such high demand, the insurance carriers have finally started hearing the cries for care and are delivering.
Manhattan Life Group has released a plan that combines coverage for all three into one combination plan. Some of the plan highlights are listed below:
- Choose your dentist or service provider – NO NETWORKS
- Competitive Family Rates (Includes maximum of 3 children)
- Offered to individuals ages 18 – 85
- $1,000 – $1,500 policy year benefit option available
- Allows you to pay usual and customary
- Guaranteed Issue. You do not have to medically qualify to purchase this plan.
- Guaranteed renewable for life. You can not be dropped for using the plan frequently.
This plan can be written to Individuals or any individual in a group and added to group bill, you can add one dental policy to any existing CUL group bill, the “Effective Date” of a policy will be the policy date stated on the policy schedule page. It is not the date the application signed. Coverage begins on effective date and it is portable so you can use it anywhere.
The biggest reason that this plan is such a favorite is because they do not limit your benefit per service. Many companies out there will provide a $1,500 benefit towards dental, vision or hearing but they will place a restriction on it. For example, they will only allow you to spend $250 a year on vision or $600 a year on hearing aids. The plan with Manhattan Life, they will not limit your benefit. If you want to use the full $1,500 that year towards dental care, you can.
If you have any questions regarding Medicare or our other DVH plans, please give our office a call at 1-855-368-4717 or visit one of our pages: