Medicare Covers Chemotherapy

In this Medigap Monday video, Robert Bache answer the question does Medicare cover chemotherapy. Watch the video to learn what percentage Medicare covers and the percentage covered by Medicare Supplement plans.

Medicare Part A Chemotherapy in Hospitals

Does Medicare Cover Chemotherapy

Medicare Part A covers 80% of your chemotherapy hospital bills. All Medicare Supplement Plans will cover the other 20%. However, Medigap Plan N has an emergency room copay up to $50 when the hospital does not admit you as an inpatient. Medicare Part A covers the first 20 days at a skilled nursing facility. Beyond 20 days, you pay $185.50 coinsurance per day without a Medigap Plan in 2021.

Hospital Deductibles for Chemotherapy

Medicare Part A hospital deductible is $1484 in 2021. You will have to pay this deductible every 60 day benefit period of chemotherapy hospitalization. However, Medicare Supplement Plans B, C, D, F, G, and N cover 100% of your $1484 deductible. Medicare Plan A does not cover Part A deductible. Plans K and M only cover 50%, and Plan L covers 75%.

Chemotherapy at Skilled Nursing Facility

Chemotherapy at Skilled Nursing Facility

Between days 21 and 100, all Medigap plans except K and L cover 100% of your $185.50 coinsurance chemotherapy costs per day at skilled nursing facilities. However, Medigap Plans K covers 50%, and Plan L covers 75% of chemotherapy costs at a skilled nursing facility.

Chemotherapy Part B Medical Coverage

Chemotherapy at Skilled Nursing Facility

Medicare Part B does cover 80% of chemotherapy outpatient doctor visits. All Medigap Plans cover 100% of Part B coinsurance or copayment costs except the following plans: K covers 50%, and L covers 75%. Furthermore, you pay up to $20 copay with Plan N when you visit your doctor’s office as an outpatient.

Chemotherapy Costs

The cost of your chemotherapy will depend on your medical situation. Your healthcare care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Furthermore, your doctor may recommend services that Medicare does not cover. As a result, you may have to pay some or all of these costs.

Please ask your health provider questions about their recommended services. For example, ask whether Medicare will pay for these services. If Medicare does not cover a particular test, item, or service, please ask about the cost.

Medigap Plan Comparison Chart

You can easily compare all Medicare Supplement Plans with a side-by-side comparison chart. Discover how Medigap benefits and costs compare so you can choose the right plan for your chemotherapy needs. Get Medicare help by calling Senior Healthcare Direct at 1-855-368-4717 or get your quote.

YM05072101