In this FAQ Friday video, MedicareBob answers the question, “Does Medicare cover endoscopy?” Watch the video and discover Robert Bache’s endoscopy procedure and how his doctor treated an esophagus issue.
What is Endoscopy?
According to MayoClinic.org, a doctor performs endoscopy by inserting a tiny camera on the end of a long, flexible tube down your throat. The procedure allows your doctor to visually examine your esophagus, stomach, and beginning of your small intestine. Your doctor may recommend endoscopy procedure for the following reasons:
- Investigate the cause of digestive issues such as nausea, vomiting, or difficulty swallowing.
- Diagnose medical conditions, which may include collecting tissue samples (biopsy) to test for diseases.
- Treat your digestive system, such as burning a bleeding vessel to stop bleeding, widening a narrow esophagus, or removing a foreign object.
In the video, Robert Bache’s digestive issue was difficulty swallowing. During Robert’s endoscopy, his doctor treated a narrow esophagus by putting a balloon down his throat to stretch it out.
Medicare Part B covers endoscopy
Original Medicare Part B covers 80% of endoscopy. So you pay the other 20%. However, a Medicare Supplement Plan will pay your 20% coinsurance cost. For example, Medicare Plan G pays 100% of Part B outpatient costs after you pay the annual $198 deductible in 2020. Call Senior Healthcare Direct at 1-855-368-4717 to shop your Medigap plan.